There is seriously nothing I love more than playing hockey in the summer.
Sure, I get to play a lot more in the summer than I do in the winter, because of my busy work schedule. But really – there’s nothing better than summer hockey. Here’s why:
1. When you get out of your game, it might still be light out. Like, you might actually be able to go out for ice cream (or the bar…) with your teammates. How awesome is that?
2. Ice times are usually earlier. Without so many of those little kids around, so much ice time is freed up. I’m secretly a grandma so anytime I can be in bed by 10 p.m., I’m all about it.
3. Walking into the rink is refreshing, and you can stay there for a while without a million layers of clothing. If you’re just watching a game, it gets cold fast in the winter. And those locker rooms? Straight up arctic. In February, you just dread getting dressed. In the summer, it’s not so bad. (I try not to think about those rare times when it’s colder outside the rink than it is inside the rink. That is depressing.)
4. Post-tournament pool parties. If you’re lucky enough to have a teammate with a pool, summer tournaments always end with pool parties and a bonfire. There’s nothing like getting off the ice and putting a bathing suit on to celebrate your shutout or championship win. Or just drinking to try to forget that your game even happened, if it ended badly…
5. Tent Sales. Oh my goodness, tent sales. In the summer, hockey stores have humungous sales under a large tent in which they sell hockey equipment (and NHL team swag) at hugely discounted prices. If you’ve been eyeing a new piece of equipment or you just want to stock up on your favorite team’s gear for Christmas presents, the tent sale is where you want to be.
What’s your favorite thing about playing hockey in the summer?